1923 – Legislation was passed authorizing mosquito districts in Utah
1947 – The Utah Mosquito Abatement Association was founded, the same year as the national American Mosquito Control Association
1952 – South Salt Lake County Mosquito Abatement District was founded
2002 – The District’s name was changed from South Salt Lake County to South Salt Lake Valley to clarify the distinction between Salt Lake County and the District.
South Salt Lake Valley Mosquito Abatement was organized as an independent local government district on June 7, 1952. We currently have a 18 member Board of Trustees comprised of representatives from each municipality within the District and a County at Large person to oversee District operations. Like other local service districts, we are governed by Utah Code 17B and receive all of our operating funds through annual property tax assessments.
We have a handful of full time staff that work year round and a few dozen seasonal employees that work during the mosquito season on various crews abating mosquitoes throughout the District.
Board of Trustees
*VACANCIES – Alta, Copperton, Kearns